THE FIRST. THE ORIGINAL. PATENTED. THE IMS RETROFIT. U.S. PATENT 9,687,974 B2.
Free 30-day IMS tool rental including RMS rear main seal installation tool is now included with purchase of IMS Retrofit and IMS Solution kits from LN Engineering along with your choice of Camshaft Plug and Tensioner Seal Set or Magnetic Drain Plug at no extra charge! Be sure to review the terms and conditions for IMS tool rental before placing your order.
The IMS Retrofit is a registered trademark of LN Engineering LLC and the original ceramic hybrid ball-bearing replacement for the M96/M97 engine.
With half the load capacity of the early factory dual row bearing, it is clear to see that the reduced load capacity of the factory single row IMS bearing is a significant contributing factor to the increased number of failures.
Logic would dictate the solution is to reduce the load or redesign using a bearing with more load capacity. Since we can’t lower the load capacity, installation of a dual row ball bearing is the logical evolution for the IMS Retrofit. Two rows are always better than one. What if you could put a dual row ball bearing in the place of a single row one? Now you can. Introducing the Single Row Pro IMS Retrofit Kit. Years in the making and developed simultaneously to the IMS Solution, the second generation, patented, Single-Row Pro IMS Retrofit provides an angular contact, dual row ceramic hybrid ball-bearing with 90% more load capacity and like all previous IMS Retrofit kits, additional benefits include reduced wear and longer service life provided by the ceramic hybrid bearing employed by the IMS Retrofit kit.
PROBLEM: IMS FAILURE. SOLUTION: IMS RETROFIT.
WHY BUY AN IMS RETROFIT FROM LN ENGINEERING?
As of 2020, with 35,000 IMS Retrofit and 3000 IMS Solutions installed since 2008, our IMS bearing replacements are the most trusted and used by hundreds of independent mechanics and dealerships worldwide.
LN Engineering offers fast and free shipping and has industry leading technical support. We also an IMS bearing replacement tool rental program, available exclusively to retail customers who purchase their IMS Retrofit or IMS Solution from the LN Engineering website.
WHY DO IMS BEARINGS FAIL?
- Lack of lubrication as a sealed bearing was used by the factory. The IMS is submerged in engine oil, so elimination of the grease seal allows proper lubrication of the new bearing. No forced oiling is required!
- Insufficient load capacity. The factory single row bearing had high failure rate of 8% according to the Eisen class action lawsuit compared to the factory dual row’s 1% failure rate under warranty.
- The factory did not supply a service interval, replacement, or tools and procedure for changing the original bearing out. The original bearing should have had a service interval!
- The Single Row Pro has a 6 year or 75,000 mile service interval, whichever comes first.
IMS RETROFIT AS PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE:
- IMS replacement takes an average of 10-14 hours and requires the transmission to be removed. Tipronic 911 models require the engine and transmission to be removed as a complete unit to be able to separate engine and gearbox.
- Typically coupled with clutch and other maintenance such as replacement of RMS, AOS, Water Pump, Dual Mass Flywheel, etc.
- If an engine failure occurs, rebuilds take 60+ hours and can cost tens of thousands of dollars to fix. Once the IMS bearing has started to fail, it cannot be replaced safely as wear metal from the original bearing can damage the replacement bearing or other internal engine components.
- Engines must be pre-qualified prior to bearing replacement. To learn more about pre-qualification, visit https://lnengineering.com/products/ims-bearing-installation-tools/ims-pre-qualification.html
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN REPLACING THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT BEARING?
In this video, Bentley Publishers technical editor Nick Czerula and Rick Mikhail from Callas Rennsport show how to replace the Intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing on a Porsche 911 (996) using an IMS Retrofit. Please refer to the instructions provided for the particlar kit to be installed for specifics. This video covering the removal and installation of the intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing is provided by Bentley Publishers. For more information on Bentley Publishers line of Porsche technical manuals, visit http://www.bentleypublishers.com/
HOW IS THE FAULTLESS IMS TOOL USED TO INSTALL THE SINGLE ROW PRO INTERMEDIATE SHAFT BEARING AND INTERNAL WIRE LOCK?
In this video, Jake Raby shows how the Single Row Pro IMS bearing is installed. This bearing is retained using an internal wire lock like the factory dual row, so a specialized tool and procedure is required to install the bearing and wire lock simultaneously.
WHAT FACTORY BEARING DOES MY ENGINE HAVE?
- 1997-1999: This engine featured a dual row bearing IMS.
- 2000-2001: These engines came from the factory with either a dual row or a single row bearing IMS. A single row flange measures 19.27mm deep and a dual row flange measures 13.34mm deep.
- 2002-2005: This engine featured a single row bearing IMS. Some late production 2005 models will have a non-servicable IMS.
- 2006-2008: These engines were fitted with a larger bearing, readily identifiable by the 22mm center nut, that is not serviceable without a complete teardown of the engine. Removal of the IMS bearing grease seal will ensure proper lubrication of the original bearing.
- If the engine in your car has been replaced, it will have whatever IMS bearing was in production for that model year of manufacture for the replacement engine.
ALL OTHER BEARING REPLACEMENTS ARE JUST IMITATIONS.
All genuine LN IMS Retrofit kits come laser etched, engraved, and serial numbered to validate their authenticity and feature custom-made, ceramic hybrid ball bearings made exclusively for LN Engineering. When it comes time to buy or sell your Boxster or 911, buyers and sellers both recognize the LN Engineering IMS Retrofit and IMS Solution as the first and original IMS bearing replacement for Porsche 986 Boxster and 996 911 models. LN Engineering maintains a database of all bearings sold and installations that are registered. Verify your installation at https://imsretrofit.com/ims-check/.
2 YEAR / 24,000 MI LIMITED WARRANTY
Warranty requires registration and compliance with program requirements. For more information and application guidelines please visit IMS Retrofit website
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PROPER TOOLS FOR INSTALLATION!
Visit IMS Retrofit Installation Tools for more information on the tools required to carry out the IMS Retrofit procedure.
Note: Free basic technical support is provided through our ticketing system. Assistance with the IMS procedure is not provided outside of directives and videos provided online. Advanced Technical Support (ATS) is a paid service where you can speak to an actual technician experienced with the IMS procedure and your vehicle to assist in case you run into a problem you cannot solve on your own.
If you are looking for the Classic Single Row IMS Retrofit 106-08.2 (10.0124.200), it has been superseded by the Single Row Pro IMS Retrofit as of 01/01/2014