The IMS Retrofit is a registered trademark of LN Engineering LLC and the original ceramic hybrid ball-bearing replacement for the M96/M97 engine.
PROBLEM: IMS FAILURE. SOLUTION: IMS RETROFIT.
WHY BUY AN IMS RETROFIT FROM LN ENGINEERING?
As of 2020, with 35,000 IMS Retrofit and 3000 IMS Solutions installed since 2008, our IMS bearing replacements are the most trusted and used by hundreds of independent mechanics and dealerships worldwide.
WHY DO IMS BEARINGS FAIL?
- Lack of lubrication as a sealed bearing was used by the factory. The IMS is submerged in engine oil, so elimination of the grease seal allows proper lubrication of the new bearing. No forced oiling is required!
- Insufficient load capacity. The factory single row bearing had high failure rate of 8% according to the Eisen class action lawsuit compared to the factory dual row’s 1% failure rate under warranty.
- The factory did not supply a service interval, replacement, or tools and procedure for changing the original bearing out. The original bearing should have had a service interval!
- The Classic Dual Row IMS Retrofit has a 6 year or 75,000 mile service interval, whichever comes first.
IMS RETROFIT AS A PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE:
- IMS replacement takes an average of 10-14 hours and requires the transmission to be removed. Tiptronic 911 models require the engine and transmission to be removed as a complete unit to be able to separate engine and gearbox.
- Typically coupled with clutch and other maintenance such as replacement of RMS, AOS, Water Pump, Dual Mass Flywheel, etc.
- If an engine failure occurs, rebuilds take 60+ hours and can cost tens of thousands of dollars to fix. Once the IMS bearing has started to fail, it cannot be replaced safely as wear metal from the original bearing can damage the replacement bearing or other internal engine components.